Wednesday, June 15, 2005

She picked up her cape later.

Few things in life are better than having a cold beer in hand and a cushy couch under ass. Add a TV remote that's within reach along with the latest issue of Field & Stream and a bag of Funions, and we'll consider it a life fulfilled. Sure, some of us break the occasional sweat with softball. Or soccer. Or fishing (shut up). Hell, some of us even work out on occasion, if for no other reason than to brag to his fellow slouches about it.

And then there's Shana. She's the triathlete mom who just made your lazy ass look a whole lot fatter.

While you were asleep dreaming of water fountains that dispense only Sam Adams Light, she was turning laps in the pool. While you were off pulling a hamstring on a return trip to the beer fridge in the garage, she was feeling the pedals spread the burn into her calves. And while you were complaining that it was too hot to fish, she was lacing up the running shoes for a multi-mile run.


The 2005 Danskin Women's Triathlon Series was held last weekend down in Austin. After training under the watchful eye of a guy who has his own Ironman tattoo on his ankle and then telling him to "shut the hell up and let me run my own race" (okay, we made that part up but we suspect that was said at some point), Shana proceeded to rip through the competition. Not only did this Mom make damn-near everyone else on the course eat their vegetables before being allowed to play outside, but she apparently sent a majority of them off to spend a few minutes in Time Out, too.


The selfless triathlete will tell you she's racing against the clock and not each other. That she's trying to beat a personal best and not the person next to her. The fat-assed, beer-drinking slug who has passed out face-first into a bag of Fritos wearing nothing but underwear will tell you otherwise. While we're picking the chips outta our noses, we'll also point out a few facts about last weekend's race like this:

Overall Race
• Out of 2,850 women racers, Shana finished 388th (top 14%)
• In her age group (which was the largest and most competitive), she finished 67 out of 481 (again, top 14%)

Individual Events
• She finished the 1/2 mile swim in just 16 minutes and ranked 286th (top 10%)
• She finished the 12 mile bike ride in 44 minutes with an average speed of 16.7 mph and ranked 616 (top 22%)
• She finished the 3.2 mile run in 31 minutes and ranked 729th (top 26%)

Apparently when you do the math and carry the 4, all those numbers average out to Shana finishing in the top 15%.

Oh, by the way, this was her first triathlon. Ever. Kinda makes you feel bad for calling your wife when she's on the way home from work asking her to get the mail from the mailbox in front of the house 'cause you're too tired to walk outside, huh?

Reports from the field also describe the course as being tough; "a real bitch" in the terms of one veteran racer. Apparently the only flat part of the course was the water. In his words, to post a time like that, on a course like this, is amazing. In our words, to post any time, on anything even remotely like this without having to crank up the amps on a heart defibrilator afterwards, is simply amazing.

We also heard the race medal has a phrase inscribed on the back. "The woman that starts the race is not the same woman who finishes." No, she's not.

The superwoman who's a full-time mom, full-time wife and full-time inspiration to both her husband and the rest of the boys had to stop on the way home to pick up her cape at the dry cleaners after the race.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig just called and told me to read the blog...thank you Todd.

I just have to make one comment. I trained with a team made up of women all sizes, ages, different backgrounds..some had kids, some didn't, some worked full-time, some didn't, some considered themselves athletes, some didn't. I didn't know it when I signed up how motivating and inspirational it would become to see some of these women train and complete this event. Everyday when I would train and didn't want to..I thought if they can do it so can I. I just had no excuses.

So...from a 32 year old mother of 2 boys. It was really cool to have my family Craig, Max, Leo and my parents see me cross the finish line. I loved knowing Max thought his mom was going to win and did win the race in his eyes!!!!!

Yes..I plan on doing another one in Sept. and the ole' "Ironman" says he wants to do it with me. I am not sure if he is challenging me...if so I have to get a faster bike.:)
For a few weeks though I plan on drinking many beers!!!!

Thanks again Todd. See you in a few weeks.
Shana

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband told me to "check out Todd's website" "it is about Shana's race" as I was running (literally, a Mom's pace) out the door with two kids this morning.

I am glad I listened to him for once...

Todd, this was very well written, and is an inspiration to many people, male and female, as to what one can accomplish if she/he puts their mind to it! Shana's comments' put it all in perspective too.

Shana, we all knew you could do it (and do it well), but you had to also prove to yourself you could do this and meet your goal. Setting a good example for your kids is something to be extrememly proud of as well.

I am very proud of you Shana, and look forward to helping you celebrate next month! Cheers!

The "Thompson Twins'" Mom, formally known as "Klein"

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is my girl--very proud!!

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey WonderWoman!! It's Kat here--I'd rather not be called Anonymous. You Go Girl!! I'm so proud of you-as proud as I was when I watched my sister cross the finish line at the Freescale Marathon, formerly known as the Motorola Marathon. She did the whole thing-all 26.something miles-and crossed the finish line in near-tears of joy. I guess a Triathlon is like a Cheeto--you can't do just one? Go gettem!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Shana, what a great accomplishment!

Denise

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you were always the pride of the neighborhood Shana........way to go. old friend from limuel circle...bjk

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic article and awesome argument against the idea that you don't have to run just because somebody's chasing you.

Congrats, Supergirl!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog...I cant wait to tell luke and bill about this.

larry forshee

9:09 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Jeff- Beer for thought. lol.

this was a great post about a great topic. I'm in pretty fair shape, but I can't even imagine...
congratulations on het success, and good luck on her second. I hear these things become addictive...

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casey that would be a no on the Tatoo...I would have to accomplish...oh maybe an IRONMAN and that ain't happenin'

Brian....I'm ready to drink some beers with you too!!!! When you get back from south of the border.

CK and Missy so glad you are training for a marathon.
Jeff..maybe I'll do the half with you in Austin. The running part of the tri isn't much fun to me..so we'll have to see.

Last night as Craig was downing another beer and blogging as Larry Forshee I did sign us up for a tri at Sea World in San Antonio in Sept.
Craig...BRING IT ON!!!!! But I would need a faster bike to be competitive with ya.haha!

Have a good weekend and Happy Father's day to all the BDS. You all are great dads..so here's to you!
Shana

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess that makes my 5K and 8K that I did last month look pretty pathetic huh? Oh, and Brian was there too. So, he is pathetic too.

Na...way to go Shana. That is awesome. Congrats. And, go kick Craig's butt!!! I will sponsor you so you can get a new bike. HA!

Queenie!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
wondering when this crap blog will be replaced by an actual website and counting