Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Corner booth at Pizza Hut, Goddard, KS. 1989.

"Three cavatinis with extra cheesy bread. Got it. Can I get you anything else?"

"Three beers?"

"Sure. I need to see some ID."

"Uh, three iced teas will be fine."

"That's what I thought. Let me go put this order in and I'll be right back with your drinks."

Waiter leaves.

"You have any quarters?"

"Why?"

"'Cause the jukebox won't play itself."

"Oh. No, I don't have any. Spent my change on Brewski Snacks at break."

"Cheap ass."

Todd leaves.

"So what'd she kiss like?"

Waiter brings three teas, then leaves.

"Big tongue."

"Really? Wow. I never would have thought that."

"Yeah, I...wait a second. Is this 'Don't Close Your Eyes' by Kix?"

"Sounds like it."

"Note to self: never let him play with a loaded jukebox."

Todd returns.

"So what'd I miss?"

"Big tongue."

"Oh, I heard about that."

"Not from me you didn't. I haven't told anyone but him yet."

"Oh, I didn't hear it from you."

Silence.

"Anyway, it was, you know, a good time."

"So...anything else you wanna tell us?"

"No."

"Figures."

"So what do you guys think of the new guy?"

"Who?"

"Uh, what's his name...Tracy, no Casey! Casey."

"The cat from Derby?"

"Yeah."

"Seems cool enough."

"'We need the dudes.'"

"Yeah. 'All those in favor..."

Silence

"You know. The line in 'Animal House'?"

"Yeah. The first one was funny. That one wasn't."

"Bite me."

"Ooh. Cheesy bread."

Waiter arrives, then leaves.

"Is this Warrant?"

"Yeah, I tried to play LA Guns, but accidentally hit the wrong button."

"Swing it to the left, swing it to guitar, swing it to the bass in the back of my car..."

"That's enough there, Jani."

"Could've been worse. Could've been something from Firehouse."

"Oh, they're up next after Mr. Big."

"Dhm a hlhv ths brd."

"It's almost as good as the cavatini."

"Man, I wonder how in the hell they make it."





Pretty long-winded lead-up to announce that 16 years later we stumbed across the secret recipe for Pizza Hut Cavatini online:

• 4 cups Pasta (gotta be the small curly kind cooked al dente)
• 2 pounds ground round beef
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 1 1/2 packages of onion soup mix
• 28 oz. stewed tomatoes (sliced style(
• 1 can V8 juice (6 oz.)
• 1 jar Prego Spaghetti Sauce (meat flavored)
• 1/2 cup grape jelly (that's what it says)
• 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup provolone cheese

Brown the meat in oil. Crumble with a fork, browning until, well, brown. Turn heat to low. Add remaining ingrediants, stirring lightly to combine. Allow sauce to cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. DO NOT LET IT BOIL. After sauce is done, layer cooked pasta, the sauce and mozzarella cheese alternately into individual au gratin dish or small oven-proof service dish. Cover with provolone and place in oven until provolone melts into mouth-watering greatness. Serves four (or two BDS Bellies).




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not even in on most of the jokes and damn I love you guys already!

And you cook too? Beer-drinkin', cookin', bloggin' men from KS. What will God think up next?

11:15 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

ok, that was me, Sex, not anon. So solly.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
wondering when this crap blog will be replaced by an actual website and counting